The coronavirus pandemic has shook the entire world. The number of COVID19 infected patients is ever-increasing. The novel coronavirus has taken toll over the lives of more than 16,500 persons. The world is still fighting the battle against coronavirus, another virus called Hantavirus has emerged to create more trouble. Allegedly, a man from China died from Hantavirus.
China’s Global Times mentioned the situation in a tweet, the man from Yunnan Province died while on his way back to Shandong Province for work on a bus on Monday. The 32 other people who were co-passengers of that man were also tested for the virus.
Ever since the death of that man, Hantavirus became a trend on social media, people are fearing that will cause another pandemic like COVID19. You should not believe everything that is being said about the virus.
What is Hantavirus?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Hantavirus belongs to a family of a virus called Hantaviridae that are spread mainly by rodents and can cause varied diseases in people.
Hantavirus can cause hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) and haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome (HFRS).
It is clear that the disease is not airborne. It only spreads if someone comes in contact with contact with urine, feces, and saliva of rodents and in rare cases by a bite from an infected host.
Early symptoms of HPS ranges from fatigue, fever, and muscle aches, along with headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems. If not treated properly, it can lead to coughing and shortness of breath and can be fatal. Severe cases of HPS have a mortality rate of 38 percent, according to CDC.
Intial synonyms of HFRS are fatigue, fever, muscle aches, headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal issues. It can also cause low blood pressure, acute shock, vascular leakage, and acute kidney failure.
Person-to-person transmission of HPS doesn’t occur. HFRS transmission between people is extremely rare.
Center For Disease Control and Prevention mentioned in its website, “Rodent infestation in and around the home remains the primary risk for hantavirus exposure. Even healthy individuals are at risk for HPS infection if exposed to the virus.”